A delicious dip by Chef Anthony Krause!
- 4 oz. flour
- 4 oz. butter
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups water
- 6 oz. shredded asiago cheese
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 oz. chicken base
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 14 oz. artichoke hearts, chopped and drained
- 1 lb. frozen spinach, chopped and drained
- toasted bread, pita, or tortilla chips (for dipping)
- Begin making a roux by melting butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter is hot enough that a pinch of flour sprinkled into it will slowly start to bubble, proceed to the next step.
- Whisk flour into the butter until a thick, rough paste forms. Whisk constantly for 20 minutes while it bubbles over medium heat. Remove from heat.
- Heat milk, cream and water in a separate saucepan over medium heat.
- Add hot roux, cheese, pepper and chicken base and blend with a cooking wand until smooth. Remove from heat.
- In a separate pan, sautée onions until translucent.
- Add artichokes and spinach, sautée for 1 minute.
- Add asiago sauce and refrigerate in a covered container overnight.
- Reheat refrigerated sauce slowly over low heat and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place in an oven-safe dish and bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Preheat broiler to high and broil dip for 3 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.
- Serve on a platter with toasted bread, pita, or tortilla chips!